TurboFord
powerheads exahust manifolds & heads - Printable Version

+- TurboFord (https://turboford.org)
+-- Forum: Archives (https://turboford.org/forum-archives)
+--- Forum: Techboard Archives 2000-2001 (https://turboford.org/forum-techboard-archives-2000-2001)
+--- Thread: powerheads exahust manifolds & heads (/thread-powerheads-exahust-manifolds-heads)

powerheads exahust manifolds & heads - Julian Wilson - 12-03-2001

I have heard mixed reviews on powerheads work when it comes to porting the 2.3 liter turbo head. I will be considering a port job in the near future, but I'm now unsure as to who to send it too. I had powerheads port me E6 and they did (in my opinion) a really GOOD job! and for $125 including a used E6 I have no room to complain. So now I'm saying to myself, if they did such a good job on my E6 why wouldn't they do the same quality of work on porting my head. What do you think? Is there a better place to send my head, and intake to for porting? Check out there port work at my web site! You be the JUDGE!

www.manmachinesinc.com

------------------
1988 T-bird

350RHP OR BUST!!!

K&N Oval, V8 T-5, Jacobs Ign., TurboXSboostcontroler (18psi), PortedE6, 3"DP, 3"exahust, 3"Cat, Saab9000 IC, Stock T3.

WWW.ManMachinesInc.com

RE: powerheads exahust manifolds & heads - stinkin' Lincoln - 12-03-2001

well... they publish decent flow numbers on their site, but I'm wondering if they may have a "loose" bench!! LOL!

your exhaust manifold isn't BAD... especially if you got the thing outright for $125! (that's a steal for retail!)

but as far as the port work, like I said, it's not bad, but it's not great...

anyone can open up port entrances... but just looking at the collector pics, it's clear that the thing could use some more work IMHO... but... I do my own port work, so my opinion is biased.

MY take on powerheads:

to have a head set up at a local machine shop for big valves would cost you $100 for the valves, and another $100-125ish for lifters and springs... then another couple hundred in machine work... that's $400+ for an unported head... port work would be more... for $600, you're getting a good deal assuming you're actually getting good lifters and springs...

but, the head still needs to have the chambers unshrowded... not "polished" as Powerheads will try to sell you, but properly unshrowded...

MY position is: it's a decent deal at $600, but I'd rather just keep the stock valves, keep my induction hardened exhaust seat, port it myself, and have extra cash in my pocket for essentially the same performance.

Forrest

RE: powerheads exahust manifolds & heads - sctur601 - 12-03-2001

DONT TAKE THIS WRONG
I hope thats not the finished manifold! If so I would send it back to let them finish it! They didnt remove nearly enough metal in the turbo collector area! You should be able to see through almost all of #4 port and most of #3 port. They left to many angles. Also in the port area it looks like they just flared the openings (could be the pictur though) the biggist part of the porting is in the collector and that hasnt been done correctly, so if you are going to try and make 350RWhp with this manifold I think you will need to have some more work done to it.
Dont hate me.
Shawn

------------------
My vehicle
1983 Turbo Coupe with a GN intercooler, dawes device set at 22psi of boost,K&N cone,fully ported e-6 manifold,gutted and ported intake, ported stock valve head, Ranger cam set -2 deg, and Full 3" exhaust with 3" magnaflow, 190 pump, a TRI AX shifter,Madhatter clutch quadrant,Racer walsh adjusatble cam pulley large VAM, LA3, brown tops, and 88 TC wheels. Next mods, boxed control arms, Subframe connectors, 3.73 8.8 rear,Larger front brakes, and poly bushings. Then i have no ideaSmile
has run a best of 14.71 at 92mph on drag radials. New times with GN intercooler, LA3, brown tops!!!! 14.9 at 96mph on my street tires.
New times with head ,e6 and ported intake, 100 race fuel, and 28psi 13.83 at 103mph!

RE: powerheads exahust manifolds & heads - Julian Wilson - 12-03-2001

I'm not saying this is the best port job in the world. I'am saying for $125 including the manifold, but not including shipping the work is NICE!! Where else can you get that including the manifold for $125??

------------------
1988 T-bird

350RHP OR BUST!!!

K&N Oval, V8 T-5, Jacobs Ign., TurboXSboostcontroler (18psi), PortedE6, 3"DP, 3"exahust, 3"Cat, Saab9000 IC, Stock T3.

WWW.ManMachinesInc.com

RE: powerheads exahust manifolds & heads - sctur601 - 12-03-2001

Quote:Originally posted by Julian Wilson:
I'm not saying this is the best port job in the world. I'am saying for $125 including the manifold, but not including shipping the work is NICE!! Where else can you get that including the manifold for $125??

My work shop [Image: biggrin.gif] just kiddin
I would still take the die grinder to the collector area.

RE: powerheads exahust manifolds & heads - stinkin' Lincoln - 12-03-2001

I've sold better ported manifolds for that price... I wouldn't DO better for that price right now, but when I've had them sitting, I've done it...

Forrest