TurboFord
Doing a 88 TC 2.3t swap to a fox body getting info/parts list now to get a head start - Printable Version

+- TurboFord (https://turboford.org)
+-- Forum: General (https://turboford.org/forum-general)
+--- Forum: General Techboard (https://turboford.org/forum-general-techboard)
+--- Thread: Doing a 88 TC 2.3t swap to a fox body getting info/parts list now to get a head start (/thread-doing-a-88-tc-2-3t-swap-to-a-fox-body-getting-info-parts-list-now-to-get-a-head-start)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Doing a 88 TC 2.3t swap to a fox body getting info/parts list now to get a head start - ianb - 01-12-2020

Hey everyone its been a while lol.

If all goes well I should be the owner a 1989 Notchback roller in the spring, ive wanted a notch for a really long time but between life and a mortgage its never been feasible. The roller is in good shape (needs a paint job though) and has a tubular k frame (I dont know the brand) a manual rack and some other minor stuff nothing crazy. The car has a 5 speed pedal setup already in it and was previously a 3.8/t5 super coupe car until it blew up. It should have a t5 cross member already. It has a 8.8 rear in it already but I think he wants that rear end for another car not a huge ordeal though. I know the last harness that was in it was the 3.8 super coupe harness which is no good to me. 

On to the good part: 
I have a complete running 88 5 speed turbo coupe that has a rough undercarriage. It needs a clutch but it runs and all in all a great donor car. My goal is to swap the harness, engine, trans, rear end into the fox body. I have access to a ton of spare parts already from a few buddies. What will I need to make this go smoothly? 

I plan on running the stock ecu but will do a pimp later on im sure...how hard is it to eliminate that big relay box from the 88 TC? Or should I just source a non TC harness?

As far as going from hydraulic to cable clutch setup does anyone happen to have a parts list for that or know what parts ill need? 

If I do TC disc rear end do I need to do anything special with the Master or Booster, I heard its going to be a bit wider but if it bugs me maybe I can have it shortened later. 

Would the stock TC motor mounts work in a fox? 

Im sure more questions will pop up later. I definitely dont have a ton of free time so im hoping hit this swap armed and prepared for as much as possible. Any links or lists of stuff ill need is greatly appreciated it. Ive been out of the loop for many many years so I need some refreshers lol. 

Thanks everyone!!

RE: Doing a 88 TC 2.3t swap to a fox body getting info/parts list now to get a head start - andrewjs18 - 01-12-2020

87-88 tbird motor mounts are different than 79-93 2.3 mustangs. we sell both types on our site: https://tbirdcougarparts.com

do note though, the aftermarket k-member might have slightly different hole locations than what our plates use. we built our motor mounts against a stock k-member. we have sent out a prototype that is supposed to be checked against a UPR k-member, but to the best of my knowledge, we haven't received any feedback on them yet.

RE: Doing a 88 TC 2.3t swap to a fox body getting info/parts list now to get a head start - ianb - 01-12-2020

(01-12-2020, 09:01 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote:  87-88 tbird motor mounts are different than 79-93 2.3 mustangs.  we sell both types on our site: https://tbirdcougarparts.com

do note though, the aftermarket k-member might have slightly different hole locations than what our plates use.  we built our motor mounts against a stock k-member.  we have sent out a prototype that is supposed to be checked against a UPR k-member, but to the best of my knowledge, we haven't received any feedback on them yet.

Thanks im not sure of the maker of this k member as of yet. Looks like you have some good stuff there awesome to see people still making stuff for these cars.

RE: Doing a 88 TC 2.3t swap to a fox body getting info/parts list now to get a head start - TurboRay - 01-12-2020

(01-12-2020, 04:58 PM)ianb Wrote:  (1) I plan on running the stock ECU but will do a PiMP later on...how hard is it to eliminate that big relay box from the 88 TC? Or should I just source a non TC harness?

(2) As far as going from hydraulic to cable clutch setup does anyone happen to have a parts list for that or know what parts ill need? 

(3) If I do TC disc rear end do I need to do anything special with the Master or Booster, I heard its going to be a bit wider but if it bugs me maybe I can have it shortened later. 

(1) I suggest sourcing a factory 2.3 EFI Mustang harness at the J/Y or in the "Wanted" section and re-pinning it for the VAM (one from a turbo GT wouldn't even need re-pinning). Then, you can chuck that "relay box" (IRCM) into the nearest round file!

(2) Is the Mustang's clutch linkage cable....or, hydraulic?  Personally, I would retain whatever type of linkage the Mustang has - since changing the firewall mount (m/cyl vs cable) and the pedal "connection" (cable quadrant vs m/c pushrod) would probably be more difficult than swapping to the correct bellhousing (cable or hydraulic), IMHO.

(3) Rather than swapping out the diffs and having to deal with revised hydraulic requirements, I suggest offering the seller whatever he wants (within reason ~ perhaps the disc-equipped TC rearend?) to leave the existing diff in the car. That will prevent you from having to deal with potential hydraulic-compatibility issues. If you feel the need for rear discs, you can always do that mod at some later point, after you've got the car up and running. [Image: anim_32.gif]

RE: Doing a 88 TC 2.3t swap to a fox body getting info/parts list now to get a head start - sturner1254 - 01-13-2020

you do not want to use the 88 wiring harness.  believe me.  as ray said, get a non turbo 4 cyl harness and modify.
If you plan on going 5 lug at some time you can get an 8.8 from a 98 mustang.  they are narrower and disc brake also.  maybe somebody here has knowledge if it's a bolt in for the older ones.   i used one but cut the mounts and made it leaf spring. taller 8.8 gears are pretty easy to come by in rangers and explorers at the picknpull.    i used an 88 for a donor for my older mustang (68) and reused everything form the 88, including the hydraulic clutch.

RE: Doing a 88 TC 2.3t swap to a fox body getting info/parts list now to get a head start - ianb - 01-16-2020

Thanks everyone for the tips so far. Ive been scouring my buddies stash of 2.3t parts that I might need lol. At the moment im stuck on situating the bellhousing/clutch. As I can worry about the electrical stuff at home. The big stuff aka dropping in the motor wont be as easy to do in my driveway. 

AFAIK the notchback does have the ford quadrant and 5 speed pedal and I think it has a v8 cable in it along with a t5 cross member. However im a bit lost as to what exactly ill need to piece together for a bellhousing/fork/ect. I dont plan on doing hydro so cable is the way to go. 

A buddy has a 2.3t laying around with a incomplete bellhousing bolted up that came out of a svo. Is there a difference between the svo and regular 2.3 bellhousings?
[attachment=2518]
[attachment=2519]
[attachment=2520]
If this is the right bellhousing I can grab it from him but what else would I need asides a 2.3 fork?

RE: Doing a 88 TC 2.3t swap to a fox body getting info/parts list now to get a head start - Stinger - 01-17-2020

That's a 2.3 cable bell and it's the same for all, not SVO specific.

RE: Doing a 88 TC 2.3t swap to a fox body getting info/parts list now to get a head start - ianb - 01-17-2020

(01-17-2020, 08:49 AM)Stinger Wrote:  That's a 2.3 cable bell and it's the same for all, not SVO specific.
Thanks for the clarification. Now to find the clips and fork or another bellhousing that is complete.

RE: Doing a 88 TC 2.3t swap to a fox body getting info/parts list now to get a head start - mlarabia - 01-21-2020

I put an 88 TC rear into an 84 mustang GT back in 1991. The TC rear is wider by about an inch or so on each side (your tires will stick out). You can use the rear discs. To get them to work I used an SVO booster and master cylinder to run themr but they were never perfect. I'm sure you can get something from Baer to help. I was a kid when I did this so it was alot of trial and error, lol.

RE: Doing a 88 TC 2.3t swap to a fox body getting info/parts list now to get a head start - supercab78 - 01-22-2020

The only thing that makes TC rear ends wider is the axles. You can use axles and backing plates, drums and shoes from a 8.8 or a 7.5. On mine I installed 4 lug 7.5 axles and brake parts on my 8.8 TC differential.