TurboFord
anodized front plates - Printable Version

+- TurboFord (https://turboford.org)
+-- Forum: General (https://turboford.org/forum-general)
+--- Forum: General Techboard (https://turboford.org/forum-general-techboard)
+--- Thread: anodized front plates (/thread-anodized-front-plates)

anodized front plates - Slumlord - 02-05-2023

Did Ford anodize the aluminum front aux shaft or timing plates (front crank seal) from the factory? They were pretty clean when I tore the motor down. If not would it be worth looking into? It is not something you can really see if you put the back timing shield plastic on but I live in a humid region so preventing oxidation would not be a bad idea. Also, would there be any downsides to anodizing these parts or even anodizing intercooler piping? Anodizing would coat all surfaces including the inner surface of piping and I have read that it does not effect heat transfer in a negative way. Does anyone have any experience with this?

RE: anodized front plates - TurboRay - 02-05-2023

If you're referring to the front "seal holder" (aka, lower t/cov), Ford neither anodized nor painted it, Andy. Also, you're the first person I've ever encountered that had any concern over its/their longevity with regard to corrosion, lol. In all the years I've been working on these motors, I've NEVER seen one of 'em corrode to any extent that would cause probs ~ likewise with the cast aluminum pans, intake manifolds, TB's, compressor housings, etc., etc..  <shrug>

RE: anodized front plates - Slumlord - 02-21-2023

I live in a very humid and salty environment and have seen many cars rot out in their prime. My motorcycle had some serious aluminum pitting issues when I worked by the beach. Comparing my current environment to my last( San Diego) where I could pull a 35 year old car apart with hand tools, I generally need an Acetylene torch to take anything apart here that has seen more than one winter. Where as this is not really a concern and an unnecessary step because this particular car is now primarily garaged at all times, due to my limited hands on time with this project, I just can't rip this back apart later to do something I missed especially if it is cosmetic. So yeah, I'm spitballing here, but while its still apart... I'm gonna consider some things and ask some odd questions.

RE: anodized front plates - TurboRay - 02-22-2023

Well.......anodizing can't HURT, Andy ~ so, I say "GO FOR IT!"  <thumbup>  Outta curiosity, are you gonna do likewise to ALL the aluminum parts on yer motor?  <shrug>

RE: anodized front plates - Bob_Myers - 02-23-2023

Esslinger made both the front crank seal carrier and the aux shaft seal carrier in billet aluminum some time ago. The ones I have are anodized black, but they also had clear and I think.

I wish you could still order them, and from discussion, near zero chance of them making a run again, but they exist and are wonderful parts if you can find them.

RE: anodized front plates - Slumlord - 02-28-2023

Esslinger, Racer Walsh and many others have all moved away from their SOHC parts and I am late to the game due to life. Many of the parts I found during my initial research phase are no longer available and so I need to make some compromises. I am also not a fan of the Ecoboost motors in an older chassis. I tend to like to keep things period correct when I build stuff.