If you are encountering login problems please check here

Loose Turbo

84 GT turbo, appears to be stock.  I was checking under the hood (after driving from Detroit to Atlanta) and was wiping the charge coupling (turbo to intake) because I thought I saw a crack when I noticed the heat shield on the wastegate actuator moving.  After a bit of playing around I found that the center section will rotate in the hot side housing, so the only thing holding it are the air and oil connections (no water on this one).  The bolts are all there in the hot side and it won't wiggle at all that I can see or feel, only rotate.  I made it back with no issues Monday but none of my other cars do that and I've never noticed a turbo that will do that.

Normal?  Ready to blow?
83 & 84 GT turbo, 84, 85.5 & 86 SVOs
87 & 88 TurboCoupe
93 5.0 notch, 95 GT coupe & vert, 96 GT vert  (Yes, I have a probem, garage's too small!)

(11-10-2022, 09:58 PM)teal95 Wrote:  Normal?  Ready to blow?
NOT normal, Steve! Can the bolts be tightened, OR........???  <headscratch>

PROBABLY not ready to blow.......yet. But ~ the looser it gets, the more you risk damaging the turbine wheel due to contact with the housing.  <shrug>
Placerville, California
(former)  '78 2.3T Courier w/blow-thru Autolite 2bbl carb ~ (current)  '87 2.3T Ranger w/PiMP’d EFI

Definitely not normal and running it that way does increase the risk of turbine-to-housing contact as Ray said. If tightening the bolts doesn't secure it, then you may need new clamps or at worst, a new center section.
'72 Pinto Runabout-2.3T/T5/MS-II.
I'll show those guys who's in top place, I'll really give'em a hotrod race.

I'm betting the bolts are frozen. I'm actually thinking about either swapping it for an IHI or swapping to a modern turbo and installing an intercooler. The Saab guys I race with said they have a spare intercooler (or 2 or 3).

Any recommended turbos for a lower powered setup? Being as it's stock now it's only about 170 hp so 250 would be about as far as I would aim for at this point.
83 & 84 GT turbo, 84, 85.5 & 86 SVOs
87 & 88 TurboCoupe
93 5.0 notch, 95 GT coupe & vert, 96 GT vert  (Yes, I have a probem, garage's too small!)

(11-14-2022, 09:38 PM)teal95 Wrote:  250 would be about as far as I would aim for at this point.

Then install the intercooler and fix your T3. If you're leaving the whole rest of the engine stock, then the only reason to get a different turbo would be for a compressor that is happier at a higher pressure ratio and only somewhat more airflow. A 60-trim T3 with a .63 turbine housing is very well-matched to a stock 2.3T. An IHI would improve response, but be a step backward in power potential.
'72 Pinto Runabout-2.3T/T5/MS-II.
I'll show those guys who's in top place, I'll really give'em a hotrod race.