If you are encountering login problems please check here

RADwood SoCal

I'm driving the Turbo aRSe from Queen Creek, Arizona to Torrance, California for RADwood SoCal Saturday Nov 19. If anyone is going, stop by and say hi. This will be the 10th RADwood event I've driven the car to including LA, San Francisco, Austin TX, and Las Vegas.

'85.5 SVO
'84 Turbo RS Capri

The car looks nice, Mike.......have a safe trip! You might wanna bring along an extra TFI module and the special tool to install it ~ OR......make one of THESE.  <thumbup>
Placerville, California
(former)  '78 2.3T Courier w/blow-thru Autolite 2bbl carb ~ (current)  '87 2.3T Ranger w/PiMP’d EFI

Radwood finally came to Atlanta last weekend. And .... I had a kid with the flu. I was really looking forward to it. The pictures show a lot of cool cars. Oh well, maybe next year.
84 Capri RS Turbo - total rebuild. Running, 7 years later.

Ray, the TFI is always worrisome. Since the car is running on a PiMP, I've looked at ways to eliminate the TFI but always get overwhelmed and just motor on with the hope I'll source another decent quality TFI.

Chris, your car would be greatly admired. Of the events I've been to, I'm the only Capri each time.
'85.5 SVO
'84 Turbo RS Capri

The homemade device that I linked above is a lifesaver if/when your TFI fails out on the road, Mike.......only requiring 30-secs or less to insert (in series) between the failed TFI and its' harness. It temporarily restores TFI operation as though the failure never occurred!  <thumbup>
Placerville, California
(former)  '78 2.3T Courier w/blow-thru Autolite 2bbl carb ~ (current)  '87 2.3T Ranger w/PiMP’d EFI

(11-16-2022, 12:48 AM)Mike Croke Wrote:  Ray, the TFI is always worrisome. Since the car is running on a PiMP, I've looked at ways to eliminate the TFI but always get overwhelmed and just motor on with the hope I'll source another decent quality TFI.

Chris, your car would be greatly admired. Of the events I've been to, I'm the only Capri each time.

I too hated the TFI ignition and really, really hated the aux shaft/distributor gear design (mine worn to the point where timing was uncontrollable). I switched to EDIS and couldn't be happier. It's a complete bolt-on upgrade with all new parts (except for the EDIS connector) and PiMPx has the settings ready to go in the Manual. It does require the crank pulley to be machined down (a simple procedure). All-in the conversion was $486.

(11-17-2022, 02:33 PM)BradM Wrote:  I too hated the TFI ignition and really, really hated the aux shaft/distributor gear design (mine worn to the point where timing was uncontrollable). I switched to EDIS and couldn't be happier.  
I'm glad you're happy with the EDIS arrangement, Brad ~ BUT.......even tho your spark-scatter issue is fixed, the oil pump is still gear driven and imposing - by far - the greatest load on the aux/dist gears........guessing more than 10-times the torque required to turn the distributor. 

IOW, those gears are still wearing at an alarming rate if you're not using an oil having the properties that were included in the additive packs available when engines rolled off the OEM assembly lines with flat-tappet cams and gear-driven oil-pumps. LINK
Placerville, California

Gear driven oil pumps have been/are on push rod engines for many, many, many decades (flat tappet and roller cams). Once rollers cams came to the scene, you did not need to fret about zinc anymore just for the gears. I have no fear that the gears are "wearing at an alarming rate". And I don't need to worry about my timing relying on them anymore.

Radwood SoCal was great again. Car did fine, about 850 miles round trip. even averaged 27 mpg along one stretch. 

Some other cool Fords too. 

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

'85.5 SVO
'84 Turbo RS Capri