If you are encountering login problems please check here

88 Mustang LX
#21

(06-16-2020, 09:11 PM)TurboRay Wrote:  1. I wuz wrong once before, WSBUT......I'm reasonably certain that the turbine housing AND elbow are both made from cast STEEL, and - if so - might explain why yer flux-core welding wire "stuck". . [Image: confused0024.gif]

2. LINK  . [Image: happy0034.gif]

I'm not using a stock turbo. I've got a Holset that uses a weird flange and cast iron outlet adapter that I cut and welded to. Believe me, the initial few tacks gave me all kinds of trouble with cracking, but that's another story.

And I saw your post about adjustable regulators- that's what gave me the idea! I'll have to thank you for that. Unfortunately no one around here has any CFI units, and the ones online are going for $200+. Shame since I could use the larger injectors in them as well. But I took the same idea as that and just modified my own stock regulator. It wasn't too hard really and I was pretty pleased with the result.
Reply
#22

Picture as promised.

Home brew adjustable fuel pressure regulator
   

Home made adjustable wastegate actuator
   

And an overall view of the janky turbo setup. Note the aforementioned VAM bracket from a chopped NA air cleaner bracket.
   
Reply
#23

Got the GT fuel pump put in, and a new sending unit, so the fuel level gauge works for the first time since we had it. With all that done I took it out and it it drove like a dream. So much quicker even without really getting into boost. It felt like a decent car you didn't have to wring out just to get up to the speed limit. With the short downpipe and glasspack it also sounds beautiful. A bit of a Subaru rumble to it and lots of turbo noise. Not sure if I'm a big fan of that though. It sounds a lot meaner than a <150hp car should. I don't know how I ended up with a slow turbo four banger sounding so mean and a TT V8 monster that sounds like it's stock.

Getting into boost didn't go so well. It felt great, but it didn't take long for the cabin to fill with smoke. I quickly pulled over and got ready to extinguish it. I thought maybe my oil supply or drain lines I made had failed, but they were intact. Apparently under boost there was enough crankcase pressure to blow off the PCV hose by the distributor and make one hell of a mess. I guess the impactor/separator under the intake doesn't do much. I spend a good chunk of the day cleaning up the oil, and Ill have to revisit that line one way or another, even if it's just putting on a hose clamp to keep it secured. Let that be a lesson for anyone else doing an NA swap.
Reply
#24

I clamped the PCV line for the time being and it seems to work.

Started working on the water/methanol injection system. I tested a few sprayer options with the new edge windshield washer pump and reservoir I have. The sprayer bar setup was far too coarse, no matter how small on the drillings you go. Little to no atomization. The ag sprayer was ok from a spray pattern standpoint, but even adjusted all the way down yielded a flow rate of 13 gph, far above the desired flow rate of 4 gph. I could try to orifice it down but I think that would hurt atomization even more. The home brew impingement nozzle faired the best. Basically just an orifice in a pipe plug with a nail ground into a point inserted into it. I'm going to start on that one with the tip being threaded on the opposite side of the pipe to allow for a degree of adjustment in flow and spray pattern.

The home made throttle switch is going to be a real abomination. But it ought to get the job done.
Reply




Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)